The purpose of life is to heal and integrate our physical body, mind and the soul, i.e. attain true health, so that we can find our true self and the grace to love
Excerpt from book Leaf to Life, page xiii
My change from a corporate career (with all its overseas travels, share options, high salary, working with top management etc.) to an unknown territory – natural medicine, was a painful and confusing one.
Back in 1997, Naturopathy or Western herbal medicine was a ‘new kid on the block’ in Singapore. Nobody knows that there is such a thing as evidenced based herbal medicine. It took a lot of effort, time and perseverance (and very often without any financial incentives) to educate the public on naturopathy. I was stepping into the unknown. As such, I did not have a salary for nearly 3 years.
I was offered a job as a spa director in China but I did not take up the offer. Some inner voice kept telling me to persevere, despite not having any financial rewards.
The physical and emotional struggles were a test of my faith and resilience. However, after this ‘dark night of the soul’, I became more happy and alive.
Similarly transformation (or conversion in religious term) is often very confusing and painful for many:
- Treating flu and cold without antibiotics and paracetamol.
- From a meat based diet to vegetarian.
- Letting go of your cell phone and embrace mindfulness.
- From doing (keeping busy) to being (living in the present moment; silence).
- From using pharmaceutical drugs (which may be claimable or ‘subsidised’) to using herbs or phytotherapy and organic food with your own money.
- Working on correcting our negative emotional and behavioural issues – constant worries, insecurity (Kia soo mentality?), anger, irritability, always wanting more, finding faults in others, expecting others to pay for your meals….
The authorities and the societal system may want you to think that there is only one way to healing and cure. It is always safer to remain in the system and the box. However, life without transformation is both boring and not living to your full potential. Dare to trust that your body heal itself, given the right conditions. Do not stay in a closed box. Be open to new ideas and new healing possibilities.
There are countless healing possibilities for your body, mind and soul.