According to my pharmacist friend, proton pump inhibitors such as omeprazole, lansoprazole and rabeprazole are one of the top selling drugs in pharmacies.
There are adverse side effects and health hazards from long term use (I am thinking of those numerous old folks who are taking daily to ‘counter’ side effects from other drugs):
- Diminished absorption of vitamins and minerals especially B12 (Vegan beware) That’s it for health.
- poor bone quality (compounded by menopause and andropause)
- increased risk of one fracture
- increased risk of stroke and heart attack
- increased risk of stomach cancer
The fact is gastric reflux can easily be resolved with herbs, diet and lifestyle. For example a simple cup of fennel tea can help for mild cases and avoiding eating at bedtime and stress reduction. Always solve the root cause of the problem rather than suppress the symptoms and hoping life will be better tomorrow. It won’t. It may haunt you later in life. I have seen so many cases of damage to the body.