Insulin is a hormone released by the pancreas in response to increased blood sugar levels. Insulin signals glucose to be taken out of the blood and transported into the cell where it is used for energy.
If your diet is high in refined carbohydrates (bread, rice, pasta, pastries, biscuits) and sugar (fruit juices, sweetened beverages, and foods), your cells begin to become “resistant” to insulin’s signal. This is called insulin resistance.
Insulin resistance is one of the best indicators of aging – hypertension, weight gain, and obesity Sleep disturbances; sleep apnea, hormonal imbalances, dementia/Alzheimer’s disease, Arterial damage, Premature aging, Macular degeneration/diabetic retinopathy, Non-alcoholic fatty liver (NASH), Insulin Type 2 diabetes, Memory/cognitive decline, Neurological problems/Mood disorders Alzheimer’s disease, High blood pressure, Sleep problemsImmune problems, Eye disorders, Kidney/Liver disorders, Cravings, Fatigue/energy loss, High blood pressure, Heart disease, Cancer.
Doctors often prescribe Metformin, a drug to enhance insulin resistance. However, long-term consumption will reduce its effectiveness and it is also associated with cardiovascular risk.
Who is a pre-diabetic?
- fasting glucose: 100-125 mg/dL
- HbAIC: 5.7 to 6.5%
- Waist > 40 inches for men and > 35 for women
The most important nutrients to prevent diabetes are:
- Zinc: Egg yolk, oats, Brazil nuts, pumpkin seeds, ginger root, peas, carrots, beets, cabbage, spelt, wheat germ.
- Magnesium: Dark green vegetables, almonds, pecans, cashews, brazil nuts, seeds, legumes, walnuts, wheat bran and germ, millet, brown rice, avocado, spelt, nettle leaf, Gotu Kola (as in Tissue Rejenex and organic powder), quinoa, apples, dandelion, banana, watercress.
- Chromium: Wheat germ, green peppers, eggs, apples, butter, bananas, spinach, amala berry as in Phytolec™.
- Taking a bitter herb 30 minutes before each meal can prevent diabetes by balancing blood sugar level. My product formulation Phytonzyme with dandelion root is perfect for this purpose.
If you are diagnosed with diabetes, do not despair. Phytotherapy applied in a holistic context can help. I have had treated or observed many cases of reversal of the condition simply with herbs, diet, and lifestyle change.
The most important exercise to prevent diabetes is not aerobic exercise but resistance exercise – walking uphill, push up, weight lifting, walking stairs…In addition, don’t sit after dinner. Have a relaxing walk or do housework for 30 minutes after dinner.
But more importantly, work on slowing down aging process for long-term prevention for almost all diseases. For further reading on slowing down aging, read my book available on Amazon – https://www.amazon.com/Leaf-Life-Natural-Approach-Healing/dp/9810915640/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1526686406&sr=1-1&keywords=leaf+to+life
Sebastian Liew, ND, MNHAA, MHS (University of New England)
Medical herbalist. Visit http://www.slnaturopath.com or call us +65-65389978